Monday, September 25, 2006

A Tribute to Alan Nelson, 1936 - 2006


















The Measure of a Man
By 4Him

I say the measure of a man
Is not how tall you stand
How wealthy or intelligent you are
Cause I found out the measure of a man
God knows and understands
For He looks inside to the bottom of your heart
And what's in the heart defines
The measure of a man

Dad was not wealthy with worldly riches, though he worked hard and steady his whole life. He was rich, however, in relationships with family and friends. His heart was huge and full of love for others and gratitude to God for His grace. In physical stature, Dad declined over the years from 6'1" to about 5'7" due to osteoperosis. But he remained tall in the eyes of those who knew and loved him. He always had a smile and a handshake, hug, or humorous word. He persevered through his own obstacles, pains, and disappointments without complaint. He served others and encouraged them. He left a great legacy for his four children and eight grandchildren -- a legacy of love, service, faith, and a positive attitude.

He will be sorely missed by many: his wife, Liz, of 25 years; his children and their families; fellow church and choir members, golfing and fishing buddies, and many more good friends.

Now he has joined his beloved parents, brother, and other relatives in "our Father's house."

So long, Dad. Thanks so much for the example you set. We love you, and we'll miss you 'til we see you on the other side!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your father. the hole he leaves in your life won't ever go away, but with time, the aching becomes less sharp.

Todd Nelson said...

Thanks, Terry. I appreciate the condolences. You sound like you speak from experience. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd, it's the Simon who used to help Lisa in the Refuge.

I'm so sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences and know that I remember you and your family in my prayers. May God's grace be even more abundant in your lives.

God bless.

Todd Nelson said...

Hey Simon!

Thanks for the condolences and prayers. My family is grateful to God for His grace in taking my dad quickly rather than letting him suffer.

Where are you now? Have you left for the UK yet?

Blessings!
Todd

Anonymous said...

Finally found your blog on the net...I may have already said to Jennie but I would like to say it again...

Big condolence to the demise of your father. I know it's tough for the family to lose someone they love but you all have showed strength over that.

May God bless this family. Amen..

Bob Cleveland said...

Hi Todd. Thanks for the comment over at Eagles' Rest.

I know where you are, albeit I went there in my 50's so I had my dad for a bit longer than you. In his case, he had a stroke in his brain stem and improved steadily over 12 days, then had a relapse. He died after 2 more days. Short enough notice.

I think the finest thing a child can do for a parent is to grow into a person his parent is proud of (and none of the pride goeth before stuff .. you know what I mean in that). I bet your dad was proud of you and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd told you that.

In case he never said it, as the dad of honorable, productive, believing sons aged 46 and 44, I'll tell you myself. He was.

God bless you, Todd.

Kiki Cherry said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. Our prayers are with you guys.

Simon said...

Yes, i'm in London now... it's pretty warm here for fall hehe. Am liking here alot, the cathedrals here are beautiful.

i hope everyone back home is doing well, i would love to be able to visit the Refuge again when i come back. Perhaps, in a long shot, i could see Abby worship leading. Just saying. :)

Still keeping you all in my prayers,
Simon